One of the easiest vegies to grow would have to be zucchini, which often results in a glut for the gardener. Use up some of the smaller zucchini to make this pickle. Larger ones tend to be more seedy and the pickle won’t be as textured. Smaller zucchini are best to use.
You will need:
1 kg zucchini
2 white onions
Salt to sprinkle (approx 100g)
600ml white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
Sterilised jars with sealable plastic-coated metal lids
1. Wash jars and start sterilising.
2. Slice zucchini finely and slice the onions.
3. Sprinkle with salt, cover with water and soak for an hour. Drain well.
4. Add all the other ingredients to a stainless steel saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes.
5. Add the drained zucchini and onion and bring back to the boil, stirring once, then remove from the heat.
6. Transfer the zucchini and onion to the hot sterilised jars and then pour over the pickling solution. Seal. Allow flavours to develop for a month before eating.
7. When opened, keep refrigerated. Makes approx 1.8 to 2 litres.