Very easy to make, these vegetables take on the pink of the beetroot and make very attractive pickles. Serve with a cheese platter.
3 cups (750ml) water
1 ½ cups (375ml) white vinegar
¼ cup (55g) salt
½ cauliflower (400g)
1 medium turnip (230g)
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1. Prepare the vegetables:
- cut the cauliflower into florets
- cut the turnip into 1cm wedges
- cut the beetroots into 1cm wedges
- cut the garlic into thin slices
2. Combine the water, vinegar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil uncovered, for 3 minutes
3. Pack vegetables and garlic into hot sterilised glass jars. Pour in enough boiling vinegar mixture to leave 1cm headspace. Seal while hot. Store in a cool, dark place for at least 3 days before eating. Once opened, store jar in refrigerator.
* Makes about 1.5 litres