This pickle makes a delicious accompaniment in sandwiches. It lasts for several months unopened, though once open it should be refrigerated and consumed within 3 weeks.
1kg green tomatoes, chopped or sliced (halve cherry tomatoes)
1 large onion, sliced
1 stick celery, sliced
1/3 small cauliflower, broken into very small florets
¼ cup coarse cooking salt
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar
3-4 teaspoons dry mustard
1-2 teaspoons turmeric
2-3 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
¼ cup cornflour, blended together with ½ cup white vinegar
- Combine vegetables in a glass or ceramic bowl
- Sprinkle with salt and mix well. Cover and leave overnight
- Rinse vegetables well under cold water, allow to drain.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a large stainless steel saucepan, stir over heat without boiling to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in vegetables, spices and cornflour mixture
- Stir until the mixture boils and thickens and cooks a bit. Add more cornflour, turmeric, mustard etc as you go till it tastes right and is thick enough. If you prefer a smoother pickle, blend at this point.
- Spoon into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.
Makes about 1.5 litres